Saturday, May 8, 2010

Saturdays Are Local Farmer’s Market Day

 
              Homegrown farmyard/chicken house eggs

Farm fresh sweet peas just picked this morning

Farm grown beef raised about 15 miles from our house and processed here in Lexington, VA

 
Homemade beeswax made by a friend of mine who has bees


    Today I had to take a little break from my 100 Blessings and take care of our food needs. Our local farmer’s market is finally open and at a beautiful spot - the Virginia Horse Center in Lexington, VA. With the regal horses walking in the background it is a picturesque location. Not only did I find healthy, homegrown meat, eggs, vegetables, and plants, I got to see old friends and the parents of students I taught in midde school in years past. What a great morning I had getting caught up on all the news.  For years Lexington had its own slaughterhouse and then the owners closed it and used the building for other things. Now, it has reopened....YEAH! Note the eggs. A year or so ago I saw the neatest photo of these “colored” eggs at Flickr pokeypatch posted by what I call “a real photographer.” It is the cover shot for her “Explored” set. At first I thought they were hand colored...well, I think not.  The green ones leave the chickens that color naturally.  I had already bought a dozen regular free range, no antibiotics and chemicals chicken eggs, but I could not resist getting these mixed colored ones to show my husband.  Next Saturday can’t come soon enough for me.  The only difference is I will get there earlier before everything is picked over. Welcome to the homegrown, local, and organically grown food on its way to our table. Oh, and the funny little round tan thing....it’s homemade beeswax made by my friend, Catherine. This will be used in my Blessing project, as I find that pulling the embroidery thread thru the beeswax keeps it from tangling and knotting from the top as I am going along.  It is invaluable in my estimation.

No comments: