Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Blessing #11 - Thomas T...My Red Headed Grandchild




There are no redheads on my side of the family, but the children’s paternal grandmother was a “strawberry blond.”  Each time I was pregnant and would see a little carrot topped child, I’d say a prayer that the little one I was carrying was going to be the next “little red.”  I kept telling myself  I was going to have the first one in our family, but after three tries I had to admit defeat. It just wasn’t it the cards.  My eldest, a daughter, had three sons - two blonds and a brown head.  Then my middle child - a son - had his first little boy, another brown head.  But, then it happened.  Thomas was born 5 years ago with a full head of red, gorgeous, curly ringlets, and I was ecstatic.  My dream had finally come true.  I couldn’t do it, but my son and his wife had.  “T”, as he is fondly called, fits the stereotype of the redhead: happy, wacky, full of whimsy, at times a bit of a temper, and FULL of life. All of these attributes fed into my choice of using a buttons with green floss for his green eyes and the orangish, curly, French knots for his hair. He just turned five and is "a trip," and he’s more fun for his Grandma Baga and GrandBud than a barrel of monkeys.  He puts smiles on our faces, and they stay there until we fall asleep at night. We love sitting and looking at the little photo albums his parents have so faithfully sent us through the years. He always has a huge infectious grin on his face and a twinkle in his eyes. Making silly, ridiculous faces is his call to fame. With his 6 year old brother, Ben, T is a real team player.  They share everything even down to their money which they pool together so they can buy something the other one wants.  Their camaraderie surpasses anything for which we could have wished. It warms our hearts to see how they care for each other and how they always share. Sure, they have their spats, and at times T’s red head temper bursts through, but those two little boys adore each other and are each other’s best friend.  So for Blessing #11 I have chosen our beloved Thomas T...but I think his mom and dad would say he is Blessing #2 with Ben, their first child, as Blessing #1.


All for one and one for all
My brother and my friend
What fun we have
The time we share
Brothers ’till the end.
~Author Unknown





No comments: