Saturday, June 12, 2010

Blessing #22 - NPR...National Public Radio

    I don’t know how many of you listen to NPR - National Public Radio - as I do, but if you do I know you must feel the same as I about the excellence of their broadcasting.  I love classical music, and after 7 years of keeping In-School Suspension Rooms at two middle schools, I have actually turned on my students to the music.  I know it is hard to believe, but it is the truth. There are days when some of the worst of the worst come in asking me to PLEASE turn my music back on so they can listen.  They tell me it calms them helps them to get back on track so they can do their work.  It is absolutely amazing.  I love it, and now my students love it.  

     The music isn’t the only programing I enjoy.  I adore Click and Clack and Prairie Home Companion....in fact, I put PHCompanion on my iPod so I can listen to it when I walk.  Their news is the best, and the lack of commercials is wonderful.  

     Public Radio is really hurting financially with all of the cutbacks.  This year our local station coming from Virginia Tech is telling us their need for donations is the greatest ever.  Our faculty has been trying hard to get out the word, because not only are those of us who listen for pleasure going to feel the results of the cutbacks, the children that view the programs produced for the educational setting are really going to suffer.  Many programs are up for the chopping block, and it is very sad.  

     I guess we as citizens of the greatest country in the world have become terribly complaisant over the years and have come to take things like NPR and PBS for granted.  Well, it now appears we are all going to need to become more proactive and work harder to keep those things that really mean the most to us up and running.  For me that is definitely NPR and PBS.  This is the year for me to step up to the call and help all I can.  I do not want to see the programming of my Blessing #21 be cut.  It just means too much to me and to many that I know.



“The whole world is held together by radio. We all experienced the same heroes and comedians and singers. They are giants.”
~Woody Allen - 1935


“It’s not true I had nothing on. I had on the radio.”
~Marilyn Monroe - 1926-1962


“When television came roaring in after the war (WWII) they did a little survey asking children which they preferred and when p television or radio. And there was this 7 year old boy who said he preferred radio because the pictures were better.”
~Author unknown

4 comments:

creation said...

hello,
hope you are spending a lovely weekend.
I too love to listen to radio .we have AIR - all India Radio and loads of local \ metro Fm stations here .I specially love our national radio,that is such a reminder of usual classic time ,i enjoy all old song in our lagnguage Hindi \Indian classical -vocal and instrumental both and loads of Abba \ airsuppy \ elvis ......................the list can go on and on.
I grew up among loads of books and music , and even as we were kids ,was told that we should listen to radio news to improve our language profeciency ,
genie ,you are being a reminder of lovely ,not to remembered blessings .
As i grow and reach about your age group ,believe me I will be missing you then too ,you make life look and sound beautiful and worth living long and I cna say I got miles to go before i sleep.
hugs
Rachana

genie said...

Oh, Rachana....I love you....once again, I got up to see if I had a note....I really do look forward to hearing from you. Hope is all well over in your beautiful country and that your feet are not too tired this weekend from all of that standing. I, too, grew up in a home full of books, a radio, thread, material, and thread, and very LITTLE TV. My parents were in their mid-forties when I was born and were very strict. Between them and the nuns, all “extracurricular” so-called enjoyments were closely monitored. At the time I was not happy, but now I realize I learned much positive from the experience. I love to read, do hand work, and listen to the radio....and NONE of those require any TV!!! Hugs....Genie

tongfengdemao said...

I'm not a radio listener. I like it either quiet or specific music I want to hear, but before I could afford to buy music I remember listening to classical music on the radio. Ha ha, Rachana made me think that my Indian husband doesn't like classical Indian music, but I do!
Anyway, not a blessing I would have thought of, but really a very good one and a good reminder to us about NPR and PBS.

~Faith
Sew Many Blessings
Needle & Fabric Art

genie said...

Hi..Faith....I loved the comment about you, your hubby had the Indian music. It is how different types of music appeal to different people. What a dull world it would be if we all liked the same things....G