Friday, July 16, 2010

Blessing #29 - “Jack"

Yesterday I paid homage to Trouble, my husband’s cat, but my schnauzer, Jack, is not happy with me and is asking when I’m going to write about him and what he means to me.  Let me start at the beginning.  After Buddy’s cocker, Peanut, lost his fight with cancer, we really missed having a HOUSE dog out here in the country.  We do not have any neighbors, and we were missing the barking and that feeling of protection we get with a dog around the house.  My daughter had a schnauzer which we liked a lot, so I decided to start looking for one for us.  I found an ad notice in the paper for one about 150 miles from here, so Buddy and I drove over to get him.  When we drove up in the driveway, we were awed by all the angels that were everywhere about the property.  We went in the house, and it was the same way in there....a little bizarre for us. We had never seen so many angels anywhere in all of our lives. The guys left us in the living room and went out to a “run” at the rear of the house and brought little Jack to us. He was the runt of the litter, but we fell in love with him immediately, paid our money, and brought our little baby home.  Within a few months we knew we had “adopted” a very developmentally challenged dog.  Apparently he was never allowed out of the little short concrete run attached to his dog house and did not have a clue how to interact with people.  He didn’t walk like the dogs we had had in the past, he was afraid of people, and after 7 years he still has lots of problems.  When he would go into our little bathroom, he would back out....he did not know how to turn around to walk out! The “angel people” really did a job on him....or should I say they did NOTHING with him other than give him food and water. We don’t care, though. We call him our 3rd son and cannot imagine our lives without him.  He is my baby and follows me continually from one end of the house to the other sometimes tripping me and other times literally walking into me.  He loves his little crate in our dining room, and he thinks “cookie” means to go get in bed....with or without a treat.  He is hilarious and  absolutely adores Buddy and me.  Sometimes I think I will scream when he won’t leave me alone when I am cleaning and working about the house, but  just let him so his thing and we get along just fine. He and Trouble get along quite well....and their kitty/doggie olympics absolutely crack us up.  When you talk about a pet giving you unconditional love, he is at the top of the scale.  He is always at our sides...but I say he is MY dog. Where Trouble was Blessing #28, he is definitely Blessing #29.

“There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.”
~Ben Williams

7 comments:

Cynthia L. said...

Jack is lovely! I really enjoyed reading the history behind the square. I have just joined the group and hope you stop by my site and follow along with me. You are a very talented stitcher.

creation said...

Hi Genie,
How are you doing dear ,I have missed you ,while i was away.have thought about you ,
howz life at your side .I had a great ,relaxing time at home.
Jack looks really cute ,I would like to see his real pic too.
hugs
Rachana

Coloradolady said...

I just found your blog this evening, and had a great time visiting. I loved the story of how you got Jack....two of my dachshunds are not too fond of strangers, the other one could care less. Sometimes, I think it is my fault for not socializing them when they were small as it was really just my husband and myself.

They are such a joy, and the youngest one does me exactly like Jack does you...STAYS under foot and no matter where I am, she will be there too....always.

Very nice to meet you...I am now a follower! Have a great weekend and scratch Jack's ears for me!

tongfengdemao said...

Jack sounds like a real cutie.

I just hate it when people mistreat animals and I'm glad he found people who love him. Our late Lab was a puppy mill dog and we actually saw her being mistreated. She had a great personality though and we got a great pet despite no papers and her being the runt (which she outgrew, btw.)

~Faith
Sew Many Blessings
Needle & Fabric Art
airycat at airynothing dot net

Coloradolady said...

Thank you for stopping by today and your sweet words...they mean a lot!

carolina mts said...

Great story about Jack - so sorry he came from such an odd home and was somewhat challenged due to that. I enjoy your comments on my blog and sent an email - if I can help you plan your trip here, let me know! I have been int he tourist business for many years!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Hello! I have perused so many of your posts and enjoyed each one! But this one is especially sweet about your schnauzer, Jack.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving your comment! So nice to meet you!

Kindly, ldh